16 February 2008

The Demon Barber

Spoilers may occur.

In lack of something better to do with my time, I will as Mr. Harris did a while ago, review the new motion picture "Sweeney Todd - the demon barber of Fleet Street" by Tim Burton.
I must admit that I was thrown off by said singer's thoughts of the movie, as I doubt that I could ever dislike anything by Burton. In my humble opinion, the man works magic whatever he might do.
I enjoyed the movie, it was just a given. The photography is beautiful and the acting is of high standard. Though, even if I just came home from the cinema I can't seem to remember any of the songs. Normally, the music - especially if accompanied by words sung - is what sticks in my head long after I've forgotten the faces. But not in this case. That was the big disappointment. But maybe I'm just dense.
And also, the ending felt cut off. I would have liked some kind of epilogue. Instead we were left with the same interrupted feeling as in Corpse Bride, like we've been deceived of how things evolved. Perhaps it would have been unecessary information, and we were better off without it.

The part I enjoyed the most though, was seeing Borat (well, Sacha Baron Cohen) getting a slit in the throat. As much as I love Tim Burton's work, I hate the character Borat. But I have to give it to Cohen in this movie - he's a good actor. But I can't stand Borat.

As a conclusion: I liked "Sweeney Todd", it's a beautiful film but it is not one of Burton's best. His best has always been the stop motion, as it is one of the most fantastic things in the world to me. I sure hope that Depp wins the Oscar for his portrait of the demon barber though. I'm still crossed that he didn't win for Jack Sparrow.

8 comments:

Sheeba said...

Okay, I have mixed opinions, it really all depends on my mood. I did like how, unlike most musicals, the songs became the dialogue, not just random songs with no purpose (case and point, RENT).

On the other hand, I'm FED UP with Johnny Depp. He plays the same character in EVERY movie, and it's getting well past old. Not only that but I'm equally as fed up with Tim Burton. He should have stopped with The Nightmare Before Christmas and raised the white flag. He's well off from the copious amounts of revenue still oozing out of The Nightmare Before Christmas; I can't go anywhere without seeing an infant wearing a Jack hoodie.

It DID end abruptly, and I was actually hoping for a happy ending. At the end of the film I looked at my friend and said, "I don't know wether I should be happy or depressed..." She laughed, but I was serious.

I thought the sailor was dreamy, the barber was obnoxious, mrs. Lovett was annoying, toby was driven (towards what, I don't know), and joanna was naive. The rest of the characters were all so hideously misinterpreted that I didn't feel anything towards them.

But, "By The Sea" was the hardest I laughed in that movie, but I seemed to be the only person cracking any hint of a smile.

-Me

Louie said...

Yes, I agree that the songs being a part of telling the dialogue was good, but to me they were faded because of that. I dunno... it just didn't stick.
But I don't agree that Burton should have stopped after Nightmare, since he has done great works after that also (like Big Fish). Even though, the stories Burton write himself (Nightmare, Edward Scissorhands...) are the best.
Oh and yes, the sailor was dreamy. Haha. :)

April said...

Nice review. I'm a little indifferent about the movie myself. I saw it awhile ago and I still can't decide whether I liked it or not.

I have to disagree with doll though, I don't think I'll ever be fed up with Johnny Depp. I think he's a great actor.

Louie said...

I think that Johnny Depp is one of the most talented actors we have, so I'll never get tired of him either.

Sheeba said...

I agree, he IS a great actor, but, in my opinion, much like Denzel Washington he doesn't seem to play parts that are any different. He moves the same, talks the same, just his characters are different. Like bands, if I take a long enough break form Johnny Depp I'll be infatuated with him again.

And I apologize. I looked up Tim Burtons OTHER movies and I take back what I said, he HAS made many marvelous movies. Forgive me.
-D

Louie said...

I forgive you, Doll. Haha. It's cool.

- said...

hm.. so i was jumping from blog to blog hoping to find something interesting. and there i stumbled upon "The Demon Barber."

Great review. Yes, that's all i have to say.

For me, Burton's greatest movie was Ed Wood. It was really funny and meaningful >.<

Louie said...

Thanks! Cool that you found just my blog. The traffic here lately has gotten wild. Haha.