Me and my best friend had a special place we used to go to, that we called our own. It was a pair of swings in the far end of the Tivoli Park, where no one went besides us. We had the swings all to ourselves, and whenever we skipped school (mostly Spanish and French classes) we headed for our swings. The fact that we were late teens didn't matter, on those swings we became kids again.
Today we walked through the park, passed our secret spot and I saw that the swings were gone. It wasn't really a surprise since my friend had told me a while ago that they had removed our swings, but it was sad nevertheless. I don't know the reason why they took them away, but since no one went there I guess they thought it was unnecessary, and they were too far from the real playground in the park to be considered a part of it. This was only a pair of swings, and they were finally redundant.
I remember when we had just discovered the place, only a week before I was to interview Shawn from the Matches for the first time for Chucow Radio. My friend and I thought up questions on those swings.
I recall all the little squirrels running around the park, and how they tended to find their way up one of the trees right in front of the swings.
I smile at the time when we got so scared of the birds - they have a bird reserve in the middle of the park - because they made inhuman (well, they were birds) noises and acted freaky. We could see in to them while sitting on the swings.
I remember swinging as high as I could while listening to music on our cellphones.
It's sad how things go away. It was only a pair of swings, but it was a haven for us. My friend and I used to say that we would return to those swings when we came back to Sweden (since both of us want to move abroad) because it was the place we cared for the most after our homes. Now it's just a spot of sand.
28 February 2008
Swing swing
Thought by
Louie
at
19:46
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It's sad when things we hold so dear are gone. Unfortunately, it seems like this happens more often, to make way for something new. Just remember to keep the memories you made there near to your heart. The swings may be gone, but what they meant to you is still there.
You're right April, I'll remember the moments spent and not the loss. I feel a little silly obsessing over some swings, but yeah. Life goes on.
No, it's not silly. Certain places or things represent memories. I remember about 5 years ago or so, my old elementary school burned down. I was devastated. I went through so much within the walls of that school, it felt like some of those memories were burning too.
I know how that must feel. Me and my friends use to love playing in this lovely little lot about half a mile from our house. We made this great fort, filled it with things, played games almost endlessly. One day they tore the area apart to build a housing complex, and an ugly one at that.
The memories you build there will last forever, and sometimes things like this happen for a reason! Now you may find a new place to make those memories, or maybe that little sand pit will be hours of fun for another group of friends!
The way I see it, you and your friend could become rich and decide to build another swing set and maybe build a fence around it. I've always wanted to tear that housing complex down...just because I hold grudges with inanimate objects.
-A
The way I see it, you and your friend could become rich and decide to build another swing set and maybe build a fence around it.
Oh, good idea. :)
Post a Comment