22 November 2008

Literature is good for you, kids.

Figured I'd share our book list. You know the English novels I've been raving about lately? Here they are:

"Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe
"The Color Purple" by Alice Walker
"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt
"A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway
"My Place" by Sally Morgan
"About a Boy" by Nick Hornby
"The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" by Muriel Spark
"Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller
"Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit" by Jeanette Winterson
"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald


They are all great works of literature. I can seriously say I enjoyed reading all of them. Some have become favorites.
If you are looking for some good classics, pick one of these.
If you have read some of these books, I would love to hear what you thought.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I’ve only read two of those to be honest and those are "Angela's Ashes" and "The Great Gatsby". "The Great Gatsby" was a good read but I can’t say it’s a favorite book of mine. Love the metaphors that are used, though. The plot wasn’t all that interesting but the ending had some nice sort of “twists” though at the same time it felt slightly abrupt in a cut off sort of way.

It was a while ago, some years actually, that I read "Angela's Ashes" but if my memory serves I loved that book. Not so much for the plot in itself but for the way it was told. (And truth be told I have kind of a week spot for autobiographical books.) A main reason I liked it was because, apart from being well-written in my eyes, it made me reflect and think a lot and it’s when a story is able to cause that that I really like it. If it leaves me more or less indifferent it’s not a good book by my measures.

It’s interesting to know how many books you had to read and which ones. We were assigned four novels and four short stories for our English course at Stockholm University and the only one on our list that’s also on yours is “The Great Gatsby”.

Louie said...

Woah, longest comment ever! I love that. :)
I absolutely love The Great Gatsby. I'm writing my second and last essay on it. And yeah, I love Angela's Ashes too. It's very humorous, even if it's a tragic story.

Rose said...

Oh, you should see my comments when I really get carried away writing, haha. (Or perhaps you have if you read comments on Shawn’s blog often.) Anyhow, glad you liked my longish comment!
I could’ve written an essay on The Great Gatsby but I chose to write one on the short story The Battle of Acosta Nu instead. Because I basically despised that story. It’s easy to write an essay on something you love or something you hate but when a story leaves you a bit too indifferent there just nothing to write on.
Yeah, Angela's Ashes had a bit of humor. Which was good, I think. There might have been a risk it’d come of as bitter or whiney otherwise, maybe? Maybe not, but I liked the humor anyway.